Day Trip: The West Bottoms, Kansas City, Missouri
The West Bottoms in Kansas City is known for it's amazing vintage and antique shopping. In the heart of Kansas City, Missouri, this historic area comes alive on First Friday weekends with great shopping, food trucks, and live music.
While the West Bottoms is known for it's vintage flair, you will also find a large variety of home decor items, clothing, jewelry, gift items, and so much more!
I visited the West Bottoms on a First Friday Weekend in April of 2019. In this Quick Guide to Shopping in the West Bottoms I'm going to share a list of my favorite places to shop and a few tips for a great day trip.
My Favorite Shops:
The Robin's Nest, 1413 W. 11th St. Kansas City, Missouri 64101.
A cute shop with vintage and home decor items. It also houses Java Garage if you want to fuel up before your big day of shopping.
Sincerely, Ellis, 1409 W 11th St, Kansas City, MO 64101
This lovely boutique is full of timeless fashion pieces. I had the opportunity to chat with the fabulous owner, Kayla, and enjoyed hearing about how her business has grown over the years. Find out about her story here.
The Painted Sofa, 1331 Union Ave, Kansas City, MO 64101
This is a "must see" for me. The Painted Sofa is gorgeous and offers a splendid selection of home decor, furnishings, textiles, and vintage pieces.
Good Juju, 1420 W 13th Terrace, Kansas City, MO 64101
With two floors of home furnishings, antiques, and other goodies you're sure to find a treasure to take home!
The Dusted Attic, 1316 W Hickory St, Kansas City, MO 64102
Two floors of renewed furniture, vintage items, antiques, and more.
Easy, Tiger, 1408 W 12th St #100, Kansas City, MO 64101
You guys!!!! This amazing shop is so much fun! You'll find a delightful staff, vinyl on the turntable, and playful and stylish stationary, glassware, home decor, pet accessories, and more! The Kansas City Dreamin' mural is a great photo op!
Bella Patina, 1320 W 12th St, Kansas City, MO 64101
Another "must see" for me. Give yourself plenty of time to see all the goodness this amazing store has to offer! You'll find three floors of home decor, furniture, clothing, and more! It also houses products from some of my favorite Kansas City creatives, Gale Nation, Carly Rae Studio, and Kolorize.
Nook and Cranny, 1400 W 13th St, Kansas City, MO 64016
At this sweet store you'll find upcycled goods, antiques, vintage home furnishings, and more.
- Before your trip it's a good idea to check store hours and times. Most stores are only open on First Friday Weekends. Some are open every weekend and select weekdays.
- Bring cash to pay for parking. Some lots and street parking are free. Others cost up to $10 to park. There are typically parking attendants throughout the West Bottoms who are very helpful and will direct you to parking.
- My preferred place to park is in the small lot outside of The Robin's Nest,1413 W 11th St, Kansas City, MO 64101. I put the address in my GPS and drive right to it.
- Prepare for the weather and wear comfortable shoes. I recommend parking your car once and walking from store to store. Most shops have multiple levels and are housed in beautiful historical buildings with steep staircases so be prepared to climb stairs.
- On first Friday weekends you'll find food trucks and also a couple of little restaurants housed inside some of the shops.
- While shopping keep in mind that most streets are still open so watch for traffic. This sounds like a no brainer, but I find it so easy to get swept up in shopping and forget that cars may be traveling under the 12th Street bridge, etc. That said, when driving watch for distracted shoppers.
- I recommend arriving early when stores are first opening to get the best parking and beat the weekend crowds.
- While I was on foot, at times I found it helpful to use my phone GPS as a quick map of store locations.
- While the West Bottoms is a treasure trove of amazing stores, my "must see" stores are The Painted Sofa and Bella Patina. If you have a favorite that's not on my list please leave me a comment and I'll be sure to check it out next time!
If you've been to the West Bottoms in Kansas City I'd love to hear about your favorite shops. Leave me a comment. If you've never been, check it out! I look forward to visiting again soon!
Terrific tips and Awesome photos!
Went the first weekend of this month and was pleased to see so many shoppers. One place you didn’t mention was the Painted Rooster on the top floor of Bella Patina. Bacon pancakes anyone? Delightful service and great food and it isn’t out of a truck. My first stop every first Friday!