Washi Tape Shamrock - Quick Craft
Do you decorate for St. Patrick's Day? I'll admit, the only St. Patrick's Day decoration I have is my cute LUCK porch sign. Once I put my porch sign out I knew I needed something for my front door. For this DIY Quick Craft (a craft you can typically complete in an hour our less), I picked up a large unfinished shamrock at a local craft store and used the same technique that I did for our Valentine's Day Washi Tape Heart. This is a perfect project to do on your own or involve the kiddos.
We love Washi tape! For those unfamiliar with it, Washi tape is a thin, adhesive tape made of paper. Really really pretty paper!!! It comes in an endless assortment of colors, patterns, and thicknesses and is sold at most craft stores.
For our Washi Shamrock project you'll need:
- Shamrock - any size or material will work. We used a large chipboard shamrock with a hanger that we found at our local craft store. If you'd like you can even cut one out of heavy cardboard.
- Washi tape in a variety of patterns. We chose all greens to match our St. Patrick's Day theme.
- Scissors - although Washi tape is thin and can be torn if you prefer.
- Mod Podge - we used the Paper formula in matte
- Foam or Bristle Paintbrush
Choose a roll of Washi tape and put 1 strip of washi on the bottom of the shamrock. We left a little extra on each side to hang over the edge of the shamrock.
Choose a different pattern of Washi tape and add another row directly above the last.
Repeat until the entire shamrock is covered.
Turn your shamrock over and bend in the edges of the tape. Use scissors to cut the tape if needed before bending over.
Step 4: (optional)
Add a thin layer of Mod Podge to the front of the shamrock to seal it and make it more durable. Be sure to mod podge the edges as well. Let dry.
Our shamrock came with a hanger, but if yours didn't just hot glue or tape a ribbon, rope, or length of fabric to the back.
These are so fun to make! Make them in various sizes to decorate with or give as gifts.
Happy St. Patrick's Day!
Darci & Katie